Epilepsy Awareness About drugs: Beware FDA Warns These Cause Death
Beware FDA Warns Drugs Get Suicide Risk
The FDA warns that 11 epilepsy drugs double a person’s risk of suicidal behavior or thoughts, although the overall risk remains small.The warning comes from an FDA for epilepsy awareness analysis of suicidality — suicidalbehavior or thoughts — in placebo-controlled studies of 11 drugs known collectively as “antiepileptics.” The drugs are used to controlseizures and to help control the symptoms of some psychiatric disorders.“All patients who are currently taking or starting on any antiepileptic drug should be closely monitored for notable changes in behavior that could indicate the emergence or worsening of suicidal thoughts or behavior or depression,” the FDA warned in a letter to health professionals.
The FDA today announced that it will require makers of epilepsy drugs to add a warning about increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors to the products’ prescribing information or labeling.Newer drugs with a higher risk of causing depression than other epilepsy drugs, such as levetiracetam (Keppra), topiramate (Topamax) and vigabatrin (Sabril) were found to increase the risk of self-harm or suicidal behavior among people with epilepsy.In the clinical trials, patients receiving inactive placebo pills had a 0.22% incidence of suicidality. Those receiving the epilepsy drugs had a 0.43% incidence of suicidality — twice that of placebo recipients, but still a very small risk.The drugs were relatively more likely to be linked to suicidality when used to treat epilepsy than when used to treat psychiatric disorders or other conditions.
The 11 drugs cited by the FDA are:
- carbamazepine (marketed as Carbatrol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR)
- felbamate (marketed as Felbatol)
- gabapentin (marketed as Neurontin)
- lamotrigine (marketed as Lamictal)
- levetiracetam (marketed as Keppra)
- oxcarbazepine (marketed as Trileptal)
- pregabalin (marketed as Lyrica)
- tiagabine (marketed as Gabitril)
- topiramate (marketed as Topamax)
- valproate (marketed as Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon)
- zonisamide (marketed as Zonegran) .
18 Things That Happen When An Empath Falls In Love With A Narcissist
1. The empath enters the relationship wanting deep, unconditional love. The empath is attracted to theRead More
Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder and Seahawks owner, dies at 65
Microsoft co-founder and Seahawks owner Paul Allen has died following a battle with non-HodgkinsRead More