How Does Narcissism Relate to Marijuana Addiction?
Narcissism is a personality disorder that is marked by an extreme preoccupation with self and an inflated sense of self-importance. While some people could be described as self-centered, this is not true narcissism: a narcissistic personality disorder is a clinical diagnosis made by medical professionals.
Signs of Narcissism
Symptoms of a narcissistic personality disorder include the following issues:
- Reacting to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
- Taking advantage of other people to achieve one’s own goals
- Exaggerating achievements and talents
- Being preoccupied with power, beauty, intelligence, success or perfect love
- Needing constant attention and admiration
- Becoming jealous easily
- Inability to develop and maintain healthy relationships
- Setting unrealistic goals
- Wanting to be the best at everything
- Having little ability to feel empathy for others
Narcissistic people genuinely believe they are better than others, and yet their egos require the constant approval and admiration of others.
How Narcissism Affects Marijuana Addiction and Recovery
Narcissism can seriously complicate marijuana addiction recovery, because the nature of this clinical disorder is a bloated sense of self-importance. This will affect the following steps to recovery:
- Admitting problems. The first step in recovery is admitting to that someone has a problem both with drugs and narcissism, but narcissists will not admit to failure. They will reject that anything (or anyone) has defeated them or has power over them.
- Reacting to criticism. A recovery addict must often confront ways she has contributed to her addiction, but a narcissist will not react well to criticism. She may defend herself against what she perceives to be attacks on her character.
- Inability to develop relationships. Relationships with other recovering addicts and loved ones can aid addiction recovery, but narcissists struggle to develop and maintain relationships. This means recovery will be more difficult without the support of others.
- Setting unrealistic goals. Addicts must recognize and admit that recovery is a slow process and that relapse is always possible. Narcissists often set unreasonable goals for themselves and want instant success because they have an inflated sense of their own abilities. It will be difficult for a narcissist to accept the reality of slow change and the possibility of setbacks.
Fortunately, a person diagnosed with narcissism and marijuana addiction can still recover. Some treatment centers specialize in concurrent issues like these. These professional centers are trained to deal with the unusual complications that arise from narcissism and addiction.
Help for Marijuana Addiction and Narcissism
If you struggle with marijuana addiction and have been diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder, you can recovery with the right help. Call our toll-free, 24 hour helpline anytime and one of our addiction specialists will talk with you about treatment options for your unique needs. You can’t overcome addiction alone, so call us today and get the help you need.
7 Things You Need To Know About A Narcissist
7 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NARCISSISTS 1. THE CAUSES OF NARCISSISM ARE UNKNOWNRead More
17 Reasons Why Being An Intuitive Empath Is A Gift
Do you ever feel like you have a heightened sense of understanding and emotion forRead More